In the midst of this crisis there are some difficult truths that we need to face up to:
•There is no “return to normal” as we know it
•The impact, even if and when social and economic restrictions are lifted, will be with us for years to come
•Each one of us will be affected, directly or indirectly, forever; and
•Each one of us will be challenged to not only redefine what we do,but also who we are as human beings
In this context, leaders are at a divergence point:
What is leadership,what does it look like, and what it is supposed to deliver?
In simple terms,the challenge is to move from an “ego”system to “eco”system with collaboration and teams delivering sustainable value. How do we each become the leader we wish to see?
To help individuals adopt the mindset, heartset and skillset (head, heart and hands) to be the best leader they can be, we have put together a leader and leadership growth journey.This journey has a series of sojourns, designed to build the leadership capacity in individuals and enterprises -to mindfully craft the future we wish to see for all humanity.
About the Programme
The journey consists of sojourns that are integrated, interlinked and build on each other.
Making sense of the current reality, our role in it and the shifts we need to make -from a fixed minset to a growth mindset
• Make sense of and share new context with team
• Guided/facilitated conversation with team to understand and determine leadership shift required
• Establish contract with team – How we will hold each other accountable
• Build leadership map
• Pause before act
• Reflect -become aware of own behaviours and triggers
• Sensemaking -see the patterns, see the shifts
• Mental flexibility/agility
Deep awareness of and insight into who I am as a human being,as a leader and as a follower.
• Awareness of myself and my leadership style
• Understand the underlying brain chemistry and physiology of my thinking and behaviours and what I can do about it
• Understand what creates emotional triggers, how to recognise and how to choose my reaction
• Deliberately eliminate distractions
• Increased focus
• Cognitively recognise emotional triggers and choose response
• Recognise and manage physiological and psychological distress
• Ability to take perspective
The Heart of Leadership – inspiring and enabling to do our absolute best together, to realise a meaningful and rewarding shared purpose.
• Rediscover love, passion and energy for the organisation
• Realise and become aware of personal impact and responsibility
• Activate leadership accountability
• Drive activation of new leaders in the organisation
• Inspired leadership throughout the organisation
• Demonstrate consistency and dependability
• Act with integrity • Proactive co-operation
• Deliberate regular giving and receiving of feedback
• Communication with empathy
Tackling the complexities of the new worldas a coherent team of individuals acting in the best interests of the enterprise, pulling together in the same direction and working in service of the business and its stakeholders.
• Culture that galvanises and mobilises
• Coherence between individuals, teams & enterprise
• Cross-functional collaboration
• Collaboration with external partners and stakeholders
• Enterprise mindset & interest
• Cross value chain collaboration
• Conscious contribution to stakeholder impact
• Building healthy and high-performance team and enterprise culture
Outside-in exploration of philosophical and practical challenges related to the real positive impact of enterprises at a transnational societal level. How each of us may have to adopt very different worldviews for societal relevance.
• A practical framework for society 5.0
• Commitment to the Common Good -value for all stakeholders at the same time
• Systems thinking: Insight into imbalances in a system
• Intrinsic consciousness of organisationʼs footprint and impact on the world
• Deep listening,acceptance and understanding of different viewpoints
• Creativity & receptivity
• Follow intuition with clarity and confidence (being authentic)
• Societal consciousness
Inside-out deliberate consideration of the organisationʼs strengths and beneficial place in the world, to match the need and redefining the operating model/arena to achieve it with sustainable societal impact.
• Organisational relevance to all stakeholders with purpose & impact
• Strategic positioning for sustainable enterprise impact
• Employee, supplier & customer engagement
• Established framework for a shared, purposeful brand
• Balanced, fair and equitable stakeholder engagement
• Act responsibly with assets entrusted to him/her
• Guided by a social-moral-ethical conscious and compass
• Collective stakeholder consciousness